$10 Coin to Commemorate the 100th Birth Anniversary of Mr Lee Kuan Yew
Singapore, 15 May 2023… The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) today launched the issuance of a $10 coin to commemorate the 100th birth anniversary of Singapore’s founding Prime Minister, Mr Lee Kuan Yew (LKY100). The coin pays tribute to his strategic vision, boldness and indomitable spirit that transformed Singapore from a regional trading port to a global manufacturing, business and financial hub, creating opportunities for all Singaporeans.
2. The LKY100 coin is gold in colour, minted in aluminium bronze. With a diameter of 30mm, it is larger than the current Third Series circulation coins
Reverse Side of the Coin
3. The design features a portrait of Mr Lee Kuan Yew, accompanied in the foreground by the Marina Barrage, representing Mr Lee’s vision to build a freshwater reservoir in the city, strengthening Singapore’s water resilience. The backdrop is the skyline of the Raffles Place financial district, and two heritage buildings which have witnessed significant milestones in Singapore’s history – Fullerton Hotel (formerly the Fullerton Building/General Post Office) and National Gallery Singapore (formerly the Supreme Court and City Hall).
4. On the other side of the coin, below the Singapore Coat of Arms, a dual latent image features Mr Lee’s birth year ‘1923’ viewed from one angle, and his 100th birth anniversary ‘2023’ viewed from another.
5. The LKY100 coin is designed by local artist Mr Weng Ziyan.
Application for Coins
6. Applications can be made online
- Applications start today and end on 9 June 2023.
- Applications are open to Singapore Citizens (SCs) and Permanent Residents (PRs) only.
- Each applicant will be required to indicate his/her identity number, mobile number and preferred bank branch to collect the coins, from the banks listed in Annex A. An SMS notification will be sent shortly after the application to confirm that it has been received.
- Each applicant can apply for up to five coins. If demand is high, applicants may not be allocated the quantity of coins requested, but can be assured of being allocated at least one coin.
- No upfront payment will be requested at the point of application. Successful applicants will pay for the coin(s), at its face value of $10 each, when collecting the coin(s) at the banks.
7. SCs or PRs who require in-person assistance with the online application may approach any Community Club/Centre, or the ServiceSG Centres at Our Tampines Hub and One Punggol.
Collection of Coins
8. The LKY100 coins will be available for collection from September 2023. Successful applicants will receive an SMS notification from mid-August 2023, prior to the collection period allocated to each applicant. The SMS notification will include information on the quantity of coins allocated, collection period and bank branch allocated
9. LKY100 coins that are not exchanged during the collection window will subsequently be made available for exchange at the banks by the general public, including non-Singaporeans.
10. For more information on the LKY100 coin, please visit . Further information on the mintage
 The LKY100 coin is about 22% larger than the current Third Series $1 circulation coin of 24.65mm in diameter. The actual coin may differ from the illustrations here when viewed at varying angles and under different lighting conditions.
 The online application is developed in collaboration with GovTech and based on the FormSG platform. To enhance data protection, GovTech has built in strong security safeguards such as end-to-end encryption of form submissions to prevent sensitive data leaks.
 If the demand for collection at a particular bank branch is high, to minimise overcrowding, successful applicants may be assigned to an alternative bank branch (which may or may not be from the bank of the applicants’ choice).
 The number of coins minted will be determined after the close of application.
$10 Coin to Commemorate the 100th Birth Anniversary of Mr Lee Kuan Yew. (n.d.). https://www.mas.gov.sg/news/media-releases/2023/$10-coin-to-commemorate-the-100th-birth-anniversary-of-mr-lee-kuan-yew